What I do
I invest my skills and experience — in audience research & definition, heuristic evaluation, strategy development, content auditing & strategy, wireframing, storyboarding, visual & information design, prototyping, and usability testing — to help clients develop products and processes that satisfy and delight the people who use them.
Why I love it
I am continually motivated by learning how and why things work, and discovering ways to make them work even better. I seek to understand people and processes, and thrive on defining challenges, finding new ways to solve problems, and generally relishing opportunities to make the world a little more awesome, one experience at a time.
THE INCREDIBLE PEAR
2006 - present
Partner & Chief UX Officer
As an independent consultant, I partner with a variety of organizations to bring my expertise to their project teams. Some projects are completed under NDA or are currently in progress, and are described here in the abstract. I am happy to provide additional detail via phone or personal interview.
Companies and organizations I've worked with include: PBS, NCES, United Way, NIH, NYCCSC, World Bank Group, Epilepsy Foundation, Gate Gourmet, Freedom House, Undergear, SnapOn Tools
- Conceptualized and prototyped a new user experience design for a complex data access and research tool interface offered by a leading educational testing organization, improving its value and reach to multiple audiences ... by quickly learning the existing tool’s complex functions; collaborating with a complex, multi-party team to validate product requirements and priorities; providing research- and heuristics-based upgrades to the user experience; developing detailed storyboards and interactive wireframes to test with internal stakeholders, developers and end users; applying iterative design techniques to create a flexible, multi-stage user workflow that increased utility, intuitiveness, and overall user enjoyment of a complex product across multiple platforms; validating and documenting progress; integrating updated branding and design to improve usability and user experience. show detail
- Defined and designed the user experience and user interface, and built the HTML/CSS front end, for a product prototype that allows parents to explore, track and guide their kids' learning experience with PBS KIDS educational games ... by collaborating closely with product stakeholders and developers on product strategy; designing end-user testing; developing a proof-of-concept prototype that helped secure upwards of $5 million in continuing development funding from the U.S. Department of Education.show detail
- Evaluated and provided guidance for an overhaul of the PBS Parents user experience ... by evaluating content strategy and site heuristics; working closely with internal stakeholders to redefine audience requirements and evaluate related products and initiatives across the organization; building consensus among related stakeholder groups for strategic cooperation across multiple teams; spearheading collaboration that resulted in organizational realignment and increased relevance for the business segment; developing interactive wireframes as a guide to implementing new strategies.show detail
- Led PBS Learning Media product and design teams through user experience strategy and design for a new feature set ... by evaluating existing analytics; reviewing heuristics and user workflows for current tools; designing and moderating user testing of new product features; presenting recommendations to and building consensus among executive stakeholders; developing a comprehensive product narrative and road map to help shape a cohesive strategy across multiple products, teams and initiatives moving forward.show detail
- Designed an intranet user experience strategy focused on enhanced knowledge-sharing for one of the country’s largest global advocacy organizations ... by collaborating with internal knowledge management, branding, technology and web teams to understand organizational structures and culture; interviewing functional department heads; providing templates and guidance for content analysis across enterprise-sized organization, and distilling a global content strategy into a single, multi-tiered site architecture; integrating multiple, disparate taxonomies into a master taxonomy; designing and moderating individual and group usability tests.show detail
- Conceived, designed, and built the front-end interface for a services and knowledge-sharing intranet that allowed PBS member stations to customize and manage a library of web resources and tools ... by working closely with internal and external stakeholders to gather requirements; designing online workflows that allowed end users to discover, implement and maintain a custom set of functional components for their independent websites; improving the model for internal maintenance and publishing; developing content types and information architecture; designing and building the front-end interface.show detail
- Researched, designed, and developed customizable front-end templates for an enterprise-class set of plug-and-play TV-schedule tools for PBS that revolutionized TV data management for 175+ member stations, minimizing support costs for the system.
2006 - 2012
BS, Physics, George Mason University
- Started an LLC consulting partnership in order to have the flexibility to return to university to pursue a degree in physics; worked full time for 4+ years managing projects, writing contracts, designing and developing online products for a variety of clients while earning the degree, and eventually took on an undergraduate research internship at CERN in Geneva, Switzerland before completing the degree with honors.
OGILVY CREATIVE STUDIO
2005 - 2006
Art Director & UX Lead
- Managed a team of three designers and collaborated with account management and technology teams to provide successful user experience and design leadership across a variety of projects from Fortune-500 companies to government, NGO and advocacy organizations including Johnson & Johnson, SnapOn Tools, National Institutes of Health, the Epilepsy Foundation and others.
1999 - 2005
Director, Information Architecture & Design / Creative Director
- Hired and managed a team of four designers; spearheaded creation of a UX/IA/Design practice; modernized production and project management practices; collaborated as senior team leader with editorial, technology, marketing and member services directors; acted as brand management ambassador for interactive; created design and UX guidelines shared with 170+ member stations; designed Webby-award winning PBS.org and related sites.
TOOLS AND METHODS
NOTE: The majority of work I perform as a UX strategy consultant contains the protected business information of my clients and partners. In order to respect this confidentiality, I do not share UX development deliverables publicly. I am happy to provide real-time online or in-person walkthroughs of product deliverables.
I also have experience with development under section 508 and general W3C accessibility guidelines.
- Design and production software curriculum designer, trainer and operations consultant
- Visual and information designer in print and web
- Manager of foreign military assistance/exchange for U.S. Department of Defense in Ghana, West Africa
- Professional violinist
- Bachelor of Science, Physics - George Mason University
- Bachelor of Arts, Communications [Arts emphasis] - University of Denver